|Sept. 2004 – Present||Professor, School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China|
|April – May 2014||Visiting Professor, India China Institute, The New School for Social Research, New York City, NY, USA|
|May 2010 – Feb. 2012||Assistant Director of State Assets Management & Supervision Committee of Chongqing Government (on academic leave from Tsinghua University), Chongqing, China|
|January – June 2008||Anthony W. & Lulu C. Wang Distinguished Visiting Professor, Cornell University Law School, Ithaca, NY, USA|
|January – June 2007||January – June 2007 Visiting Professor, Cornell University Law School, Ithaca, NY, USA Sept. 2003 – July 2004 Fellow of Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (Institute for Advanced Study in Berlin), Germany|
|January – August 2003||Senior Visiting Fellow of Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, USA Oct. 2001 – January 2003 Visiting Fellow, East Asian Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore|
|July 1995 – July 2001||Assistant Professor of Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA|
|July 1993 – July 1995||July 1993 – July 1995 Instructor in Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,|
Cambridge, MA, USA
|University of Chicago (Political Science)|
|University of Chicago (Political Science)|
|National University of Defense Technology, China (Math.)|
- Chun-tu Hsueh Distinguished Lecture, “Chinese Reform in light of James Meade’s Liberal Socialism”, St Antony’s College, Oxford University, December 5, 2014 (https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/chinese-reform-light- james-meades-liberal-socialism)
- Clark Lecture, “Is there a Yale School of Law and Economics”, Cornell University Law School, April 2007
- Ralph Miliband Lecture, “Bush Doctrine and Neo-Conservatism: A Chinese Perspective”, London School of Economics, June 9, 2003
- Lecture to Documenta 11, “Toward Republicanism in the 21th Century”, House of World Cultures, Berlin, October 27, 2001 (http://www.documenta.de/data/english/platform1/index.html)
- Keynote Speech at Korea Basic Income Network, Seoul, June 2015
- Keynote Speech at Morgan Stanley Asia Summit, Singapore, November 2014
- Keynote Speech at India China Institute, New School for Social Research, New York, May 2014 Keynote Speech at International Labor Organization, Geneva, July 3, 2013
- Keynote Speech at International Women’s Forum, Washington, DC, Oct. 2011
- Keynote Speech at European Association of China Studies, Reykjavik, Iceland, June 2009 Keynote Speech at The Korber Foundation, Hamburg, Oct. 2009
- Keynote Speech at University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia, Sept. 2008 Keynote Speech at University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, Sept. 2008 Keynote Speech at Mexico City, Mexico, 2011
- Keynote Speech at The Association of Chinese Economics in Europe, Dublin, Ireland, 2008
Selected Conference Participation
- “Jackson Institute for Humanity”, University of Toronto, Toronto, May 2015
- “Reforming the Regime of Intellectual Property ” organized by Skolkovo Foundation, Moscow, May 2014
- “World Cities Conference”, University of Jerusalem, July 2014
- St Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF), St Petersburg, June 19-22, 2013
- Book tour for “China 3.0” to Berlin, Madrid, and Lisbon, organized by European Council on Foreign Relations, November 2012
- “Tri-party Dialogue”, European Council On Foreign Relations, Stockholm, Sweden, Feb. 2012
- “Glass House Forum”, Paris, January 2009
- “Alternative Approaches to Development”, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 2008
- Member of Editorial Board of “Modern China” Sage Publication Permanent Member of Institute for Advanced Studies, Tsinghua University
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Center for Communication Studies, Tsinghua University Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Institute for Advanced Studies, Chongqing University Member of Editorial Board of Society and Thoughts book series, Oxford University Press, Hong Kong Member of Editorial Board of the Journal Horizons, Hebei Education Publishing House
- Member of Editorial Board of the Journal Comparative Studies, CITIC Publishing House, Beijing
- Member of Editorial Board of the book series “Third Sector in China” (NGO Development), Zhejiang Peoples’ Publishing House
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (IN ENGLISH and Other Foreign Languages)
Books and Book Chapters
- Editor and Introduction. Politics: Theory Against Fate by Roberto Mangabeira Unger (in Korean), 2015. http://www.changbi.com/books/59611?board_id=8912
- The Manifesto for Petty Bourgeois Socialism (Collection of my Essays in Korean translation), 2014. http://dolbegae.co.kr/book/2848/
- “China 3.0”, chapter 1, “Chonqging Experiment: The Way forward for China?”, edited by Mark Leonard, European Council on Foreign Relations, 2012
- “Is there a China Model”, Glasshouse Fourm, 2009 (http://www.pensamientocritico.org/glasshousechina0709.pdf)
- Whither China (Collection of my Essays in Korean translation), 2005. http://www.changbi.com/books/9161?board_id=6302
- Wrestling with the Invisible Hand: Soft-Budget-Constraint in the Capitalist Economy, forthcoming (under contract) from Harvard University Press.
- Editor and Introduction. Politics: Theory Against Fate by Roberto Mangabeira Unger. London & New York: Verso, 1997 (It also has been translated into Portuguese and published in Brazil).
- Co-author with Adam Przeworski, et al. Sustainable Democracy. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994 (primarily responsible for Chapter 5).
- Co-author for the UNDP China: Human Development Report 1999, ed. By Carl Riskin, Oxford University Press, 2000 (responsible for the theoretical chapter).
- “Bush Doctrine and Neo-Conservatism: A Chinese Perspective”, in David Held (ed.), American Power in the 21st Century, Polity Press, 2005
- “Liberal Socialism and the Future of China: A Petty Bourgeoisie Manifesto” in Tianyu Cao (ed.),
- China’s Model for Modern Development, Routledge, 2005
- “In Search of Dynamic Republicanism for the 21st Century” in Okwui Enwezor et al. (eds.), Democracy Unrealized, Documenta 11 Platform 1, Germany: Hatje Cantz Publisher, 2002.
- “An Appendix On Saving And Investment” in Roberto Mangabeira Unger, Democracy Realized: the progressive alternative, London and New York: Verso, 1998.
- “International Chapter 11 and Special Drawing Rights”, in Marc Uzan (ed.), The Financial System Under Stress: An Architecture for the New World Economy, London & New York: Routledge, 1996.
- “Particular, Universal, and Infinite: Transcending Western Centrism and Cultural Relativism in the Third World”, in Leo Marx and Bruce Mazlish (eds.), Progress: Fact or Illusion? Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1996.
- “Can Privatization Solve the Problem of Soft Budget Constraint?” In Vedat Milor (ed.), The Political Economy of Privatization and Public Enterprise Reform in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America, Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 1994.
- “The Recessionary Bias of the Polish Stabilization Plan in 1990”, in Roland Schonfeld (ed.), Transforming Property Forms and Instituting Markets in Post-Communist Central Europe, Munich: Sudosteuropa-Gesellschaft, 1992.